Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sin Kheng Aun @ Lorong Chulia

UPDATE 26th september 2010:
I noticed that since I dared to criticise this place I have gotten some really nasty hateful spiteful comments.Part of it is due to my ignorance because I didn't know that the Hainanese that pride themselves on being so, are actually watered down and thus no more speak the language because of intermarriage between other clans.I have Hainanese friends that proudly speak to each other in Hainanese therefore I was just wondering if this is a Hainanese joint why they didn't speak to each other in their mother tongue.Well I received an education in this department for being so ignorant as well as a tongue lashing from my friends for being so insensitive to intermarried Hainanese
Then I started asking around.A lot of this place's-used-to-be-regulars had this verdict.When the bill comes it is sometimes up and sometimes down.I suppose because it goes according to market price but customers were not informed and therefore they got peeved by this.next complain from them is ...they wish it were as good as before.
If the owner is taking note of this.I am not trying to get you down.Just improve and don't stop giving up on customers that demand great food out of you,for there is something missing and only you know what it is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I beg to differ on this one.
I thought long and hard about why this has been around for 70 years.
Either this joint used to be popular on days mother didn't want to cook or since Love Lane is just next door, men took their mistresses who wouldn't or couldn't cook,here, for a meal.

The pomfret gulai is overcooked,it feels as though the gulai were precooked and the pomfret just separately boiled or steamed and added on top.As such although the gulai is pretty ok(most penang fish gulais are pretty ok in general)the fish did not have a chance to absorb part of the taste from the many herbs and spices that went into this dish.To top it off,the darned fish is cut up so even if they were to give you the fake tau tay pomfret ,you really wouldn't know would you?

We had the misfortune of being recommended the soup of the day which was too kar kiam chai thng(pork trotter and salted vegetable soup)
When the basin (yes basin)of soup arrived it was so crude to see more 'too kar' than 'kiam chai' I felt like I was watching a pig drown with one mutilated leg pointing upwards to the sky in the soup.When I investigated the accident scene I only found 2 small pieces of kiam chai inside.Then I bravely took a sip and the soup honestly tasted more of preserved plums that we use to steam fish than kiam chai.The generous owner offered to fill our basin with more soup...I stopped him.He was shocked that I did.I couldn't care less what he thought

Since when did Hainanese people speak to each other in Cantonese?This is supposed to be a Hainanese joint right?I am truly confused.

I will only return for the assam prawn.That's all ! Nothing more.