Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tarn Thai @ New World Park

Deep down inside I want to believe that my quest for thai food in Penang will eventually come up with a gem.So far it has been nothing but a lost cause for me to squander more hard earned money on.So when I arrive at a Thai restaurant where the chefs are milling around and speaking in Penang hokkein I should have stayed away.What's left is for me to pass the buck and blame the smart alec who wrote about and recommended this place.That person is on my hate list already.
update: attention ms alice chan of lowyat forum I am not referring to ms picassosun or piccasun or watshername(can't be pikachu nor peekaboo,pickernose or pickafight right?) blogger.This place is recommended by a food journalist from a newspaper.u may find the offending article plastered outside this outlet
On the bright side this place is perfect for those with hypertension and want to eat thai food.Know why?Cos not much salt is involved plus instead of coconut milk they have an affinity for using evap milk.The tomyam is quite good,exciting,with fire that builds up but the ingredients inside are so little that the fire eventually fizzles out.The rice is small grained rice that once left exposed to the air a while longer starts to harden slightly.
The fish cake ...I think even Lang sae lee at Tan jetty is better.It looks like a handicapped starfish shaped like a sea sponge cum coral and when you poke it with your fork it actually bounces back a little like a soft pillow.Thai fish cake is not supposed to misbehave like that.Thai fish cake doesn't fight back like a virgin.
The green seafood curry is more curry than you see food.You look inside and you think that perhaps it is a miniature version of  the Chao Phraya sprouting algae and Neptune's overfished morsels in a bowl.
I won't elaborate any further on what other dishes we had because I'm beginning to get a headache just thinking about it.
Ambience wise is quite pleasant.Service staff are genuine,concerned and attentive which is quite a rarity in Penang.Desserts are a tad better than most joints.High blood wise is a smart move to eat here.