Monday, October 11, 2010

Gem Restaurant @ King Street

I love Indian restaurants and when some newspaper declares this the best,it had better be as good as they say it is.
Scanning through the menu I notice that they offer both south and north indian dishes.So I pull the usher aside and ask him where the chef is from.Armed with that knowledge I make my entrance.
This being dinner time,it was quite unusual for the restaurant to be empty so I figure that it must be due to the fact that they now have an amazingly cheap lunch promo as evident from the flyers near the door.
I didn't expect to be sitting around admiring the staircase,pillars,paintings and statues.I expected something better than the rather plain wooden tabletops and chairs I had plonked down on, because after all some had labelled this a place for fine indian food.I want to be admiring my tableware and place where I am seated at too.
Then we signal the supervisor...Kalavele*!
He turns out to be as stiff as a Punjab doorman guarding the Taj Mahal who just got injected with botox and cannot attend to us the only customers in sight.That kinda job he leaves to his lesser mortals to do.
After much head jiggling we decide on Kerala fried fish,Chettinad chicken,some thousand spice mutton,rice,tandoori set and chai.
As we waited for the food an unexplainable feeling swept over us.The place is uncomfortable in an unexplainable way.You know places where you silently wipe your mouth and drum your fingers on the table because you somehow feel like not talking?This place is like that.
Anyway the mutton arrives and looks like it got rolled over many times by a steamroller with edible fur on.I think it turned out this way because there were so few diners that they had to reheat it many times.For a thousand spice dish,it was not very tasty,it was hot,and spicy but had no kick.
The chettinad chicken was not too bad.
The fish felt like deep fried dory that melts upon contact with our tongue coated with spicy flour.Regret.
The tandoori set was ok.
I asked for plain chai(tea) but they give me spicy one cos they think I wanna,I wanna,I wanna be Spice Girl.This is something that takes a while to get used to.
The rice was fluffy alright but only because it was steamed and still wet(almost soggy) with water droplets.This is expected of banana leaf cuisine but not restaurant standard food.Not nice.
We begin to tuck in like rolling trains but end up three quarters of the way stalled at the station,fiddling and playing one two jus with our food.See,the food here is sooooooo filling.
Now this just comes to show that however blogged about eating and ordering so much food here, must have been nibbling like a rodent.Cos you see,my dining partner is a ravenous eater that can demolish two steaks to smitherens but he couldn't even finish his portion of rice can you imagine?
I wanted to turn into Rajni and throw the recommender to a rubbish heap in Tamil Nadu.What a Kudigeren**!
Next when the bill comes you won't dance like Shah Rukh Khan but you will realise why the supervisor needs to look like kayu face ,in order to deter any protests
Pluses are your breath after eating here will smell sweet and you can skip two meals after this one.It is that filling!

*I have no idea what this means.All I know is that it sounds good and gets Indian peoples eyebrows up as well as confuses them at the same time.You must say this with your hands as if you are sprinkling some water at another person.With this one you can frown as you say it.Oh,and don't forget to shake your head like how they say yes,while you are at it too.
**this one is a rude term.Do not utter this without a smile.If you say this without a smile you are asking for a parang to come after you.The safest and least offensive way to demonstrate exactly how you feel is to cover your forehead with one hand,throw your head back and smile/laugh as you utter it.Stick the other hand straight out as if you mean "apa lah lu"