Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mixed Cooking Oil Hazard

First incident
-------------
As far as 5 years back,when the snoop in me starting emerging,I took a walk in the Jelutong morning wet market,venturing all the way past the old market building, till I came to a dead end where a row of shophouses,occasionally stocked mattresses for warehouse sales.
What I saw then,shocked me to the core and has not been uncovered by any reporter to this day.
Two men gave me a cheesy,scared looked cos they were openly transferring via a big plastic funnel, cooking oil from an unbranded tin canister into the popular branded ones,namely Kn**e that at that time were more expensive than Labour and the like.
They were standing in front of a lorry filled with the contraband product destined for grocers,restaurants and unsuspecting retailers.
Giving me a once over,looking me straight in the eye,I quickly turned the other way and that relieved them to such an extent,they carried on nochalantly with their business of mixing.

Now you know why your favourite hawker proudly displays the branded oil on their counter.
Don't let them fool you.Let your tastebuds be the judge.If the CKT ain't good,the problem could most likely lie in the 'oil'.It's probably not original and the hawker whether unintentionally or not,we shall never know,bought it thinking he got a good price.

Second One
------------
Being at one time hypnotized by the UDA flats nasi melayu,I also misventured into the area between the chinese kampung and the last row of flats.
Yea,at that time I suddenly liked exploring nooks and corners,but this last incident sort of put a stop to it.
Nowadays I prefer to fly to another country,than see something I don't wanna discover in my own backyard.
Anyway after seeing what I saw next,I would ensure I got my supply of cooking oil from reputed retailers.

Row after row of used,blackened,broken down,beyond salvage cooking oil was deposited in the front of a chinese village house,I suppose to be supplied to this rascal in Jelutong.
Damn the bugger.
Just in case you want to do some snooping yourself,I have not been to both places since then,therefore I can't tell you if they are still there or not.

Finally
-------
After the last cooking oil undersupply mania leading up to this years CNY,I was relieved to get my K***e from a hypermart in a certain Square.
The label was funny looking,in fact it looked like it was old,frazzled or second hand.
Strange for a new arrival right?
Anyhow,I kept the oil aside not opening it till now.
But today reading this article from the NST,I think I shall chuck it out once and for all.
Yea,they may have seized packets of oil,but I think I shall rely on my womanly instincts that tell me something is not right with the unopened bottle of oil sitting under the kitchen sink.
Bear in the mind,the article below again involves Klang,but this here is a living eyewitness that the same if not worse happens here too.

The only way for this activity to end,is when biodiesel fuel derived from these oils become a reality.
In the meantime,they should make the sale of used cooking oil illegal.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
NST 6.3.2011
Mixed Cooking Oil Seized In Raid (V.Shankar Ganesh)
KLANG: Klang Valley consumers may have unknowingly bought recycled cooking oil that had been filtered and repacked as new.
The concern follows the discovery of an illegal factory processing used cooking oil and mixing it with new oil in Pandamaran.

The factory was exposed by a Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry raiding enforcement team on Friday.

The "Ops Goreng" raiding party seized 40 tonnes of such "mixed cooking oil" valued at about RM200,000.
Ministry enforcement officer Hashim Daud, who led the raid, said two workers, a lorry driver and a guard, were arrested at the factory.
He said investigations revealed the syndicate collected used cooking oil from restaurants and hotels in the Klang Valley before mixing it with new oil.
"The mixture is then repacked as new.
"Consumers will not be able to differentiate it from the original products in the market.

"This is a very well organised syndicate.

"We believe they have been operating for about two years, reaping huge profits."

Hashim said the lorry driver sped off when the team arrived at the factory but he was nabbed after an eight-kilometre chase.

He said the raid was the result of intelligence gathering and a two-week surveillance of the syndicate's activities.

"The oil seized can be packed into 40,000 one-kilogramme packets.

"You can imagine the profits," he said, adding the ministry was also trying to locate suppliers and traders selling the "mixed cooking oil".

Ops Goreng is being carried out to stop the abuse of controlled items by traders and suppliers.

Individuals found violating the Supply Act 1961 can be fined up to RM100,000 while companies can be fined up to RM250,000 or three years jail or both.