Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Golden City Cafe @ next to New World Park

Chinese mee rebus,mee goreng,fried rice,ice kacang with ice cream and Maria's wantan mee are the main items sold here.
Their regulars used to slowly filter in here for a truly laidback meal at snail's pace.
Food here was palatable,not exactly so great,you couldn't live without.
When New World Park and Tune Hotel opened,the spillover of customers saw a change in their fortune.
Business picked up.

The aunty occupying the front of the shop, used to fry a dry ajinomoto laden version of fried rice and added chicken meat plus a topping of crunchy iceberg lettuce on top,a version which I found to my liking cos I am an aji fan.
You can forget about it now.She now precooks the chicken,marinating it in some spicy sauce and deep frying it,so it can be tucked away for longer in the fridge.Also the iceberg lettuce has gone off radar.
Last time,her hubby sometimes took over the reins from her when she couldn't cope.I remember him being so bad,I swore never to order from him if he was behind the counter again.
The entry of her bespectacled son whom she clearly dotes upon, into the cooking sphere has practically screwed up her recipes.
His presence signalled the arrival of bad cooking,oily recipes,and sloppy half hearted attention to order taking.
I thought perhaps that only he was bad,that I decided to make another trip back just to make sure once and for all if I had to insist on her cooking and not him.
Wrong.
This lady loves her messy sweaty looking son so much,she now cooks exactly like him.
Sheesh.