Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Kopitan @ Lebuh Pantai

This is just an overpriced cafeteria style food outlet which provides a nice respite away from the hustle and bustle of the busy banking district.Situated a stone's throw away from a police station coupled with scarce parking would mean risking summons if you were to nonchalantly park as you like.
Found a spot near Merlin and as we trotted downwards,noticed that most office workers still preferred drinking teh timbang by the roadside rather than inside Kopitan as some would like you to believe.You should have seen their happy smiley faces,sweating it out,enjoying the occasional breeze.
The side entrance was quite welcoming but the seating arrangement is definitely concocted by a scatter brain.
First thing you will notice that will set off your alarm bells are that the staff are mostly foreigners.
Old Town gets away with this since their white coffee is really good.
Now compared to the Thais and Burmese that can amazingly replicate our kopitiam of yore drinks,these fellas are klutzes.
All I ever noticed were the buffant overgrown Shah Rukh Khan/Elvis hairstyles sported by them.They probably use tons of Pantene straight and silky and blow them before coming to work hoping to meet their Malika or Kajol... just maybe.I say just maybe cos unfortunately the whole lot of them have caught the Canneversmile disease.The waiters here take more pains at grooming than the female of their species that when they approach your table they actually smell nice.Wow.Just like the Axe advertisement.
But what will happen if you ask a Bangla to prepare your Hokkein Mee?You get Bangalee.(Sorry I couldn't resist that but I hope you don't misconstrue me as racist.)
And please tell me since when soup Yee Mee got fried egg inside?
No never mind,still I look through the grotty,badly damaged menu and now I understand why companies pay big bucks for professionally touched up cook book perfect pictures.I am no clairvoyant but I can tell the prawns are too hard and tasteless,the batter chops have been prefrozen for way too long,the fish is the type we can get from the freezer section of any hypermarket,the nasi lemak as unexciting as Old Town's.....enough already.
If you want to try every single frozen food you can possibly find in the supermarket,every packet of instant drink,you can come here,thumb through the almost gone case laminated menus and get them to prepare it especially for you.Please take note that prices for drinks are quite stiff whereas the meals are more reasonable however everything looks so suspiciously bad from the get go that my eyes begin to wander.
I look up and see an aunty chewing her western.She chews so hard she reminds me of a grazing cow.No go.
I turn to another table and see 3 ladies using their fork to push their noodles around.As the finale one chick gulps one piece of the 3 dimsum/dumplings on a plate with an expression of a robot.It remains untouched by the other 2.
I check out an uncle with a bowl of noodles and frankly he looks constipated trying to force the food down his throat rather than enjoying his chow.

So what do we do?We order drinks and a variety of toasted breads for goodness sakes before I start to pray.They go unanswered because when our Lemon infused tea comes,it can make Optimus Prime's toes curl inwards.It is so sour,like kana juice that looks like tea with absolutely no hint of tea.At this point I can imagine their ice lemon coffee will taste like 100percent lemon concentrate with a coffee facade.
The good news is,if you are above 55 or retired,where half your tastebuds are dead,you might actually think this as arousingly aromatic.
I swear my cup of  milk tea is from an instant mix.Stole a sip of my colleagues coffee,found that it was way too weak and insignificant.So in short the amount of sugar you get varies accordingly.
"Oops I did it again.Used too much sugar in this one,boss will get angry,I better put less in the other"is what I reason the drink maker was thinking.
Bite into our dark brown toast and it tastes more like a cross between and biscuit,a cake and a muffin cos it's a little too moist and the sugar granules remain unmelted.The banana cheese toast was circle cut in the middle so much so that when you put your fork in and pull it upwards it looks like an exploding UFO from the planet vulcan.
I'm really thankful we didn't order more cos as we left an angmo and his oriental wife were playing musical chairs with their respective forks on their respective plates of fried rice,with digestion as the last option written all over their face.