Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Euro Deli @ Gurney Plaza

If I dare say, this gaudy white eyesore is probably visible from the peak of Gunung Jerai .
Looks like an unfinished partition barricade that's still under construction.Just so out of place,helping downgrade the same coloured Coach shop next door,into resembling a factory outlet store right smack in the middle of Changloon.

Moreover,before you decide to step in,one gets the impression that this deli places more emphasis on drinks, what with clusters of bar tables and stools dotting the entrance.
Thus,rather effectively deterring diners, who end up giving this a miss,turned off,under the wrong impression that the environment on the inside will be smoke filled,strongly reeking of boozers,boisterous and rowdy.

On the contrary, the inside is nice and cosy, as if you stepped straight into a real German restaurant by the lake, near the touristy 'you call this a forest?'  Blackforest.

Service staff tries a little too hard at times,can't blame them cos the place was virtually empty,but they did kinda of get on my nerves a bit with the 'overservice' metted to us.
I mean how many times should we report back to every staff as to whether 'everything is ok?',right?

I have to warn you that you may have to do many double takes, as well as countless encyclopedia like criss cross referencing on the menu,as the pictures have english descriptions beneath them, while the dish list sports European first names.A tad confusing.

Made it a point not, to order roast pork knuckles cos I found them to be such a humungous torture the last time I was on Bavarian soil . Even then,the beer was of no help.It was a nightmare to finish,that much I can tell you.Perhaps one day I shall brave up and order this dish,seeing that their angmo bosses have grown accustomed to our local preferences.Not today.

The only other angmo pork dish I ever enjoyed,was pork belly stewed with peaches.That, was really good.Not in Germany but all the way on other side of the globe, in the 3 main road, nothing to do 'city' called Queenstown.However the horrible winding road to the fjord eventually caused me to throw up that nice dish as I had also eaten a serving of strong smelling sheep intestine casing sausages which sent my head spinning.

Now,I have a confession to make.
I succumbed to Euro Deli's, All Day,buy 1 free 1 ,German beer on tap.
Oh my gosh.How could I refuse?

Of the four brands to choose from,two were not available.
After which,you have to indicate whether you want the dark or white one.

It came looking like a camels hoof encased in glass,but tasted real caramelly smooth,light,nicely cool,not icy cold with a hint of sweetness to it.Oh ....just the thing my parched throat needed.

So,for the first time,I really,really couldn't find fault with the menu,since the lager complemented the aromatic sausages,lightly sour sauerkrat,rich mashed potatoes,swiss like sauce and dollop of mustard most perfectly.

In short,my head swam a little,I smiled myself silly and aw shucks, I even looked at the food most lovingly.
The Honest Food Critique was honest to goodness, feeling kinda trashy and smashed.

Naturally everything tastes good and faultless after getting a little tipsy.
Which is why
you really shouldn't take my word on the quality of the meal here, unless of course you make sure your meal order is accompanied by a nice long pint.

Lastly I would like to kiss the ground for the opening of this outlet,as I totally dislike Ingolf Kneipe for their cocky staff and lousy laughable sausages.