Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cover Charged for Chinese Tea @ Penang restaurant

I was initially taken aback when I read this,but there are always two sides to the coin.
While it is easy to blame the restaurant for the unreasonable charge,I concluded that the tiff arose from the following
  1. the fact that some establishments take great pride in the tea that they offer
  2. that having a pot of chinese tea especially at lunchtime,would inspire unsavoury parasites or kutus to roost way longer than neccessary,thus effectively depriving others of dining space
  3. the fact that they opened for business to make money,not for charity right?
  4. even after being forewarned of the over the top charges, she still went ahead with her plan
  5. that it is a "robbery" only if accompanied by violence, intimidation,force,fear or use of a weapon,all of which there were none.Thus it wasn't a robbery,but an outrageous condition from which she could have backed out of,but she chose not to most probably due to "ai bin"

So who to blame?
And why write in to complain to the newspapers when the outlet didn't act unscrupulously but informed her before hand.
Tsk.tsk.
Only this bitter diner knows.

-------------------------------------------------------
Blatant Robbery
(Letters to the editor,The Sun 16th nov 2011)

I stopped at a restaurant in front of the Umno building for lunch while I was in Penang last week,and was taken aback when I was told I would be charged RM2/pax for bringing in my own tea.For my family of 10,we would have to pay RM20 for hot water supplied in a teapot.Isn't this blatant robbery?
They justified the charge in that the restaurant also sells tea and hence does not want outside tea to be brought in.
I was "fortunate" they told me upfront rather than me finding out on my bill later.Fair warning to those who enjoy your own tea-bring your own at your own peril.

Lynda Thong
Petaling Jaya