Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Yi Garden Cafe @ Macalister Road (Night)


Oh Chien Stall
I used to avoid the oh chien (oyster omelette)like plague when the old lady was there.Your order came like a big blob of starch that pooped out from the orifices of an unidentified lifeform.
The most tasteless oh chien on the whole island.
Then again. she had her fans who would order non stop so maybe it just didn't suit my alley.At least the oysters were fresh.

Today,a spec wearing guy has taken over.Whether he decided to improvise or cut back on the flour,I don't know,but it tastes like char koay teow-fluffy roti telur-omelette with not so fresh oysters
First in Penang.
Me thinks she didn't pass down her recipe.
Don't know whether I should laugh or cry.

Pan Mee Stall
This fella started off selling hokkein mee.He has the lineage to prove it yet he switched to selling this noodle.
Don't like his hand made Pan Mee even though the soup looks quite rich,since it is sickly sweet, but like the stall above he has his fans too.
He also offers chicken feet in the sweetest thickest treacle possible which strange as it sounds,was highly beneficial to health.I can't explain it,but eating this dish reenergised me tremendously.
These days he has watered down his original recipe and I find it not as nutritious as before.So no go.

Pork Offal Stall (out on the roadside)
Hate the small portions and long wait .
Sometimes I just think it is not worth the trouble.
I just don't understand why he takes so long to cook one dish even though there are not many customers.
If your table of friends order from every stall here,slowly take their time to finish their food,your dish still won't arrive.
Embarassing.

Wantan mee stall
This is a very close cousin of the Kowloon old quarter style soupy wantan mee (minus the stinging chilli paste and fake scallop flavouring)you won't be able to find in any Hongkong themed restaurant not even in Canton-i.
Served with fine springy noodles,more than the usual veges.I am always impressed at how they can even manage to include 4 huge prawn-pork balls for the ridiculous low price of just $4.

However hygiene is a cause for concern.The cook and helpers look like they would wipe their anything on everything.
Just close your eyes and pray to god nothing happens to your gut.

Choo Char Seafood Corner
Lots of people over order and over eat here.Just don't ask me cos I don't want to and never cared to try this out.The outcome just doesn't look right to me.Can't bring myself to even order one dish from them.

Kopitiam
Person behind the counter looks stuck up but actually has no airs.He's just probably bored to death.
Kopi is nothing spectacular just like Sin Kim San at the other end of this block cos I prefer the stick to the wall black as the night Air Itam version.
Overall condition :dirty and icky