Monday, November 15, 2010

Pastamania @ Gurney Plaza

Update :
Found their pizzas to be much nicer.Not much ingredients,but in my opinion better in taste,presentation and offers better value for money than Pizza Hut anytime.
----- --------------------------------------
I would like to say that the staff here is very nice despite their gloomy looking faces,if you have a special request they are ever willing to comply.The Malay waitress is helpful,patient and actually smiles.
However when it comes to the food,the clues already presented themselves to us the instant we sat down.
On each table is the customary salt and pepper shaker.Since this is a pasta joint which also serves pizza,a cheese shaker is also present.Now I normally pride myself on not having to reach out and use these little shakers.
When my glob of almost tasteless overcreamed chicken soup arrived those shakers turned out to be essential.
At least a quarter of the cheese and one teaspoon each of salt and pepper went into my tiny bowl.Though I did that in the hopes of salvaging the dish by flavouring it,I might as well have rewritten the recipe for them.
At the bottom of the bowl of soup were some pathetic pieces of tasteless shredded chicken which was beyond rescue.I left them there to rot.
Then came my tomato paste based pasta.The pasta was limp and soft due to overboiling and the paste tasted like Heinz bottled baby food you can buy off the shelf from supermarkets.Baby food is disgusting for your info but suitable for babies cos it has almost no flavour as in this case.
If I were the staff working here day in and day out,my face would be gloomy too faced with having to consume such dishes.Who wouldn't?
Next I snuck a bite of my friend's Olio dish and would like to declare that is the worst I ever had cos it was hard,cold and undersalted though the stinging chilli was rather nice., yet didn't help the dish at all from being classified gone case.
They may have branches in egypt,syria,uae,brunei but they remind me of one of the unfriendly German autobahn makan rest stops or some cold european airport food outlet,devoid of cooking sense or flavour.Places in the cold harsh winter that dish out tasteless food to weary travellers too tired to complain.

You may bring unsuspecting babies or convalescent relatives here for makan.Just order drinks for yourself unless you like to engage in shaker Mania or rattle your table for the fun of it.